Mexico's La Paz is the capital of Baja California Sur. Located towards the south of the Baja California Peninsula, the tranquil city is a fantastic base for basking on the beaches along the Sea of Cortez. Indeed, the city's name means "peace" in Spanish. Idyllic islands lie within easy reach, and you can enjoy a selection of water activities when you book travel deals to La Paz. Natural attractions abound, and there's no shortage of great places to eat and drink. The city has youthful energy, combined with an air of authenticity that can be difficult to find today in some of the country's more popular tourist resorts. Here's more information about vacation packages to La Paz.
Popular Activities in La Paz
- Take a day trip to Espíritu Santo Island, a scenic gem within a UNESCO-protected area in the Sea of Cortez. Marvel at the dramatic pink cliffs and the emerald inlets as you kayak through the calm waters.
- Admire the views as you perfect your swing at the beautiful golf course of El Cortés.
- Hook various species like red snapper, tuna, sailfish, marlin, and grouper on a sportfishing expedition.
- Soak up the sun and dip in the sea on splendid beaches like Caimancito, El Tecolote, and Coromuel. Being able to hop from one stunning beach beauty to another quickly is part of the charm of travel deals to La Paz.
- Meet traditional ranchers on a horse-riding adventure. Saddle up and enjoy the ride through small fishing villages, past cacti, and along the coast.
Nature in La Paz
- Swim and scuba dive in the sea with whale sharks, sea lions, dolphins, and other majestic marine life. These are among the most popular and exciting things to do on La Paz vacation deals.
- Observe diverse aquatic life as you snorkel in the warm waters.
- Board a small boat for a fabulous water-based bird watching experience.
- Go hiking in the nearby Sierra de La Laguna Mountains and be awed by the dramatic and picture-perfect rugged scenery.
- Sail through enchanting sea caves and see exciting rock formations and wildlife.
History and Culture in La Paz
- Learn more about the peninsula’s past at the informative Museo Regional de Antropología e Historia.
- Take a leisurely walk around the heart of the downtown to see colorful and eye-catching street art.
- Gaze up at the massive altar at the striking Santuario de la Virgen de Guadalupe and enjoy the serene and spiritual ambience.
- Delve deeper into times gone by at the Biblioteca de la Historia de las Californias.
- Watch skilled artisans at work and pick up locally made goods at Ibarra's Pottery.
- Experience a slice of local life and shop for fresh goods alongside locals at the bustling Organic Market.
- Step into the historic Governor's Palace to see frequently changing art exhibitions.
- Snap a picture of the historically significant Dove of Peace monument.
La Paz for Families
- Watch the kids splash in the shallow waters at Playa Balandra, build a sandcastle, peer into tidal pools, and have a go at bodyboarding. Don't miss the famous mushroom-shaped rock formation too.
- Relax in the shade at the pretty Jardín Velasco and snap pictures of the Hongo de Balandra.
- Get up close and personal with snakes, lizards, spiders, and more creatures at the educational El Serpentario de La Paz.
- Observe playful sealions at Isla Partida.
- Pose for a fun family picture in front of the large and colorful La Paz sign for a fabulous keepsake from your amazing La Paz vacation package deals.
La Paz at Night
- Stroll along the Malecon and watch the sun go down before checking out some of the restaurants and bars along the water.
- Sample fresh local seafood, with delights like lobster, shrimp, and snail on the menu. Fish tacos are also especially popular bites in La Paz.
- Book tickets for a performance at the Teatro de la Ciudad. Part of the Unidad Cultural Profesor Jesús Castro Agúndez, it’s a major cultural venue in La Paz.
- Dance the night away in one of the city's vibrant nightclubs.
Where to Stay in La Paz
La Paz is a fairly spread-out city, with an excellent choice of accommodations to suit all tastes. Our awesome flight and hotel deals include accommodations in different parts of the city and its surroundings.
Staying in the downtown core puts you within easy reach of a variety of places to eat, drink, and shop, as well as cultural sites and tour operators. There are several great places to stay along the Malecon, making it even easier to enjoy attractive ocean vistas while being close to a range of amenities and facilities. If you want to wake up to the sounds of the sea, arrange your stay at one of the city's beaches. Balandra Beach is particularly popular with families, though you'll find top-class places to stay near many of La Paz’ fine beaches. The neighborhood of El Zacatal provides easy access to the airport.
Whichever part of La Paz grabs your attention, our vacation packages to La Paz offer exceptional value for a memorable trip.
How to Get Around La Paz
The center of La Paz, including the Malecon, is easy to explore by foot. Strolling along the diverse beaches is also a great way to stumble across delightful restaurants and small shops selling local souvenirs. Alternatively, rent a bicycle to cover more ground; there are several rental shops in the downtown area. Public buses operate between major city areas and beaches. For a quicker ride, though, hop in a cab. Taxis are widely available, and fares are cheap, though you should always negotiate the fare before starting your journey. Various tour companies offer diverse boating trips and transport to the many nearby islands.
La Paz Airport Overview
Manuel Márquez de León International Airport (LAP) lies 11 km from the heart of La Paz. Shuttles and vans easily connect the airport with the city with a short transfer time, although many travelers opt for the convenience of a private door-to-door taxi transfer. You can pay for your ride at the taxi kiosk before leaving the airport.
There is one split-level terminal building. Airport facilities include restaurants and cafes, shops, a pay-to-use VIP lounge, tourist information outlets, ATMs, and currency exchange facilities. La Paz airport also offers Wi-Fi.
Best Times to Visit La Paz
With a hot desert climate and some 340 days of sunshine each year, it's always a great time to visit La Paz. You can enjoy a range of water activities and trips all throughout the year too. Check out our year-round cheap flights and hotel packages to experience the wonders of La Paz for yourself. May to October are the hottest months, while November to February sees temperatures dip slightly. October to March is the best time to visit if you want to see whales, while December through February is the ideal time to spot whale sharks.
Plan your trip to La Paz for the end of October or start of November if you wish to experience the city's celebrations for Día de los Muertos.
Tips for your trip to La Paz
- Book boat trips that include marine experts to really appreciate the sheer diversity of creatures that call the surrounding sea home.
- Don't forget your underwater camera for snorkeling and diving trips.
- Pre-book airport shuttles for the best deals.
Get fantastic discounts on flight and accommodations with Ya Vas by Volaris. Flights include a checked luggage allowance, and you can travel in safety and comfort aboard one of the safest airlines in South America.
Get your cheap flight tickets to La Paz with Ya Vas and start your vacation at the best price!